-->

Navigation

8 February 2013

5 Ways To Mix Prints

5 Ways To Mix Prints
One of the best things about fashion is having fun and experimenting with colours, textures and patterns, but mixing two different prints can be a bit of a gamble - you can end up looking either absolutely amazing or catastrophic. In general I would say you should stick to two prints to mix, three at a push, to avoid looking like a walking jumble sale. I decided to make a little guide with some advice on different ways you can try mixing prints!

Denim shirt, patterned denim jeans and floral boots.
Patterned denim jeans.
The subtle pattern used on these denim jeans contrasts with the bold floral print of the boots, making the outfit interesting without it giving you a headache.


Subtle pops of pattern.
Adding a couple of subtle pops of print to an an otherwise neutral and plain outfit is a great way to liven it up a little! I think this floral scarf and snakeskin print shoes do just that.

Dark jeans, plaid shirt, brown and plaid boots.
Same print, different style.
Simple - use the same pattern in a different colour or style! Plaid is really great for this - it gives a rustic feel to an outfit. You could also try the same type of pattern on a different scale (e.g. a top with little polka dots and a skirt with larger spots).

Striped top, floral skirt, black heels.
Same colours, different pattern.
This is kind of the opposite of the above. I went for a classic black and white colour scheme, using stripes and a floral print, but stripes and polka dots, and subtle colour schemes, could work well together too.

Lace top, leopard print skirt and black flats.
Subtle mixed with bold.
Lace is good for this. Try pairing a subtly printed lacy top with any kind of bold printed skirt. Alternatively, you could try this the same time as the above tips, and pair a bold floral print with a subtler one, or bold and subtle prints in similar colour schemes.

I hope this post has given you some inspiration on how you can try mixing prints in your outfits. Of course, this is just a quick guide, and I'd definitely encourage you to think outside the box - that's what fashion is all about! Please feel free to share any tips, comments or advice you may have about mixing prints in the comments below.
Thanks very much for reading. Until next time, happy print mixing!

20 comments:

  1. The 4th & 5th looks are my faves - I`d totally wear them.

    Have a nice weekend, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of them :) Thank you for posting this! I'm soooo bad with mixing prints, and this is helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, I'm so happy to hear that!

      Delete
  3. Love all these combinations, I love experimenting with prints too! x, Kat

    Love and Ace

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great ideas and I love how you portrayed each one! Very cute!
    ❤Britt
    www.lizzieandjaneblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great guide to mixing prints! Really helpful. And I love all the outfits here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad you think it's helpful!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE print mixing! I think people should just go with their GUT...ok and maybe stick to a general color theory rule ;)

    xoxo
    www.PardonMyFashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i always love florals and stripes mixed together, one of my favorite combos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourites too! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  8. Well done. Congratulations on being featured in IFB's Links a la Mode.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I really love florals with polka dots and/or stripes.

    Fleur d'Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be one of my favourites too. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  10. What a great post! I love it when others mix prints but for some reason, never seem to do it myself. Great job breaking this down :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  11. Can you tell me where can I buy the exact outfit number 4? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...